Managing in Asia
Location: Bangkok and Chiang Rai, Thailand
A one-week seminar designed to meet the needs of graduate students who have an express interest in developing their understanding of management practices in the Asian region. The seminar comprises sessions on different aspects of management with a focus on Thailand/Asia and enables participants to exchange ideas with high-profile experts from academia and business.
Classroom sessions are supplemented by visits to leading organisations in Thailand.
Participants will gain a deeper understanding by developing a discussion paper based on a topic of their choice, under the guidance of a faculty member.
1 course = 36 contact hours of lectures and company visits + pre-reading requirement + final seminar paper + online discussion forum = 3 Thai credits = 6 ECTS credits (150 hours total workload for students)
- Cross-cultural Management: Asian versus Western Approaches
- Negotiating in Asia
- Innovations in Thai Retailing
- Sustainable Leadership in Thailand
- Entrepreneurship and New Ventures in Asia
- Managing Technical Activities across Borders
- Internationalization of Emerging Market Companies
- Sustainable Supply Chain Management in Asia
Visits to leading companies in Thailand such as Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Bangkok Airways, Theptarin Hospital, Central Pattana Retail Corporation, Baan Doi Children’s Home and others.
- Pre-reading requirement and quiz
- Lectures and discussion of theory and practice
- Case study analysis, in-class presentations.
- Company visits and discussions with senior managers
- Online discussion on learning from company visits
- An individual seminar paper to develop deeper understanding of a selected topic (to be submitted within 3 weeks after the end of the course)
The course will use a combination of class attendance and participation, a quiz, an online discussion forum and an individual writing assignment to assess students’ mastery of the course content. 3 Thai credits = 6 ETCS credits
Pre-reading quiz 15%
Class attendance 15%
Online discussion forum 15%
Active class participation 20%
Individual seminar paper 35%
Prerequisites: proof of English proficiency, currently enrolled in a Masters degree
47,000 Thai Baht (includes all lectures and visits, handouts, lunches and dinners as indicated in the program, local transportation, return flight Bangkok - Chiang Rai. Hotel and international flights are not included.)
30,000 Thai Baht
(discounted fee for students from partner universities)
College of Management, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Application deadline: February 15, 2019